Saturday, October 25, 2014

P.E. Warm-Up Activity, Real Food Day Game, Trick or Treat Tag Game

This week I taught all of my students a new Warm-Up Activity called "Warm-Up Variety".  I used to call this "Four Corners", but changed the name since I decided to use 5 cones/signs instead of 4 (for 3rd-5th grade).  Below are 3 videos of this warm-up.  Students practiced running, the crab walk, and the bear walk.  They were huffing and puffing after 3-4 minutes of this activity!  I took a close up picture of the signs I used on the cones (see below).
These sign covers were a great purchase.  I use them all the time!

Today was "Real Food Day", so my 3-5th graders learned about real foods verses processed foods.  We played a game called "Fruit and Veggie Tag" to celebrate real foods.  Players who were tagged had to sit down and wait for the helper to bring them a fruit or vegetable.  Then they ran over and classified their item as a fruit or veggie by placing it in the labeled box.  Between each 2-3 minute round of the game, I called on 3 students to give examples of real or processed foods.  See video below of this game!

The K-2nd grade students learned a variety of new exercises and practiced them during the "Trick or Treat Tag" game.  Tagged players had to go "trick or treating" - which meant they rolled the dice and did that many exercises.  They also practiced MATH by rolling 2 or 3 dice and adding them together to do more exercises.  Between each 2-3 minute round of the game we stopped and I called on 3 students to give an example of how to be SAFE if they go trick or treating.  They had a lot of fun!  See video below.



Pic of 5th graders doing the crab walk during the warm-up.

Crab Walk

Trick or Treat Tag - students going to the "Push-Up House".


15 comments:

  1. Where did you purchase those sign covers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them several years ago and now can't find them on the US Games webpage or School Speciatly I've seen other styles of signs though which may work, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gonge-Changeable-Numbers-Cover-Colors/dp/B00D1R0AZO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1414681364&sr=8-5&keywords=cone+covers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please tell me the rules of your Jail Ball game?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is the link to a printable document with directions/rules, etc. Please let me know if you can not open the document. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GL2e9U1V4hNmRiZTQxNDctMDBlZi00YmJiLTk0N2ItYTljOGJjODkyODM1/view?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Just copy and paste that link in your search box)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you use for your Christmas Cards? I couldn't tell from the video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several years ago I printed about 12 Christmas icons per page then laminated and cut them into squares/cards. Examples of pics I used are Christmas trees, candy canes, snowflakes, gingerbread houses, snowmen, etc. I have tons and tons of them. I have also used them for a Christmas Match Game in the past. Groups have a "board game" which is just a paper with each icon on it, then they have to run to find the matching picture and lay it on top of their board. I played that with my preschool and special education classes and it was good for them to practice matching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I was wondering if you have a printable of the signs for downloading? I homeschool and would love to incorporate this into our PE program. Your signs are great. Thanks so much for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you do the first week of school with Kindergarten and first graders?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What do you do the first week of school with Kindergarten and first graders?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first few weeks I teach the rules and practice following procedures, learn basic exercises, animal walks, bean bag activities, spacial awareness, and body parts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carly! I just love all your ideas and activities and have used many over the years. For those of you looking for sign holders, you can use sheet protectors and either tape them to the cones, tape string to the sheet protectors and loop over cone, or cut a slit in the top of a cone and use card stock for the signs in the sheet protectors. I am going to revamp my program a little this year. I will have around 40-50 kids at a time for each grade level. I will have the kids 2x a week and for only about 40 min total from warm up to cool down and water. I want to figure a way to get the kids started right away with a warm up and not having to waste time getting them all in, seated, and explaining the days activities. I do a ton of stations on skill weeks so that takes more time. Any ideas on management for this? I need to cut down on down time since my time will be less this year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shelly! Thanks for the nice feedback and excellent suggestion for sign holders. What grade levels do you teach? What I would do for a warm-up with that many students is Warm-Up centers. As students enter the gym, they go stand by a sign (I used to hang them on the wall). You could say they have to be in groups of 3-5. When the music starts, students begin performing the exercise at that center. Some of the centers pictures can say "Jog laps" or "Skip around the cones" or "Gallop around the cones" so not every center has to be a stationary exercise. I would pause the music every 30-60 seconds, then the students rotate to the next sign clockwise and begin that activity. The important part for management is to be sure you demonstrate (you and/or a small group of students) to show the class how to enter and stand next to a sign until the music begins, and how to rotate clockwise. I really like this activity because you can incorporate exercises for every major muscle group. Students can also do as many reps in the 30-60 second time period so they can be pushed to do their personal best. 3rd-6th graders should have no problem doing this, however, K-2nd graders will probably need a few weeks to be taught the exercises and get the hang of the procedure. Good luck! Hope you have a great school year, and thanks for using my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Carly! I appreciate the idea! I look forward to having more time to look at all your awesome ideas! BTW, I teach K-5. :)

    ReplyDelete